The gift that protects Ranginui and Papatūānuku for the future
By Tilly van Eeden
We’re so excited to welcome our newest charity partner, Para Kore!
Para Kore means zero waste, which is the principle that guides all of the mahi that this awesome kaupapa Māori charity does. By supporting marae, kōhanga reo, kura, and community organisations, Para Kore are working to instill circular systems of waste disposal for the protection of Ranginui and Papatūānuku.
Launched in 2009, Para Kore has impacted thousands of people across Aotearoa. They have run educational workshops, presentations, and events for more than 400 community groups and marae. At these events, Para Kore works to increase the reuse, recycling, and composting of waste. This education has already made a massive impact on the environment, preventing more than 500 tonnes of waste from ending up in landfill.
At their events and workshops, one of the main things Para Kore wants people to take away is a desire to protect the environment, together.
Para Kore’s events and workshops all work towards achieving their mission, which they describe in two parts.
- “By 2025, all marae and Māori organisations in New Zealand are working towards zero waste.” They describe this as aiming to normalise mindful consumption and disposal of waste.
- “We receive valuable resources from Papatūānuku, we return valuable resources to her.” They describe this as Māori society taking an active role towards zero waste living and protecting natural resources.
Urs Signer from Para Kore believes in the importance of achieving this zero waste mission for the future and the collective responsibility we have to care about future generations. “It’s that concept of being a good ancestor,” he says.
“We can’t leave a legacy of landfill, pollution and rubbish scattered around our landscapes.”
We are so happy to be partnering with a kaupapa Māori charity that shares our passion for zero waste and collective change.
There are a few ways you can help Para Kore to achieve their zero waste mission:
- Donate to Para Kore through our Good registries or Good gift cards.
- Sign up for their programme if your marae or community group could benefit from working with them to implement more zero waste principles.
- Check out the tips on their website for recycling, composting and waste disposal.
Donations to Para Kore go straight to the frontline delivery of their programme, helping passionate kaimahi to deliver workshops, work at their waste minimisation space, and educate Māori communities.
To learn more about Para Kore and all the good that they do, visit their website.
About The Good Registry
The Good Registry is a gift website where people gift the power to do Good.
Anyone from small kids to big businesses can show they care with donations to good causes instead of unnecessary gifts — using charitable gift cards or charitable registries:
- Create your own Good Registry for a special event and ask friends and family to donate to a charity you choose (such as Para Kore!).
- Give Good Gift Cards instead of traditional gifts, to show people you are thinking about them, and enable them to donate to charities they care about.
We have 65 partner charities that our Good Sorts can choose to support. Para Kore is just one of them.
You can hear from good kiwis and businesses who have used Good Registries and Good Gift Cards to give more simply, sustainably and kindly, on our inspirational Giving Wall.